Monday, December 25, 2017

A Bonus Day in Fort Lauderdale (aka We Didn't Get to Cruise Today)

Wednesday - December 6, 2017

We go cruising today!  That's the first thought that entered my mind when I woke up at 7 am.  Which is 4 am in LA time, but considering I fell asleep before the early bird specials were over the night before, I was feeling really good.  

Except...I woke up to a voicemail from Costco Travel.  Uh...okay.  I listened to their urgent voicemail saying it was "imperative" that I call them back, so I did...except they weren't open yet.  I started to panic at this point - because really, what's so imperative that Costco had to call me?

Once I booted up my laptop, I found out: our cruise had been delayed by a day.  Costco had called me at 8:30 LA time the night before...you know, after I'd already fallen asleep.  Princess Cruises had emailed me the notice the night before as well, after I was already asleep. REALLY??!!  The ONE night I actually sleep early is when something crazy happens!

This is their email:

Princess Cruises®
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YOUR CRUISE
Island Princess - Voyage 2737 - Booking Number GT7N9G

Dear Princess Guest:



We look forward to welcoming you aboard Island Princess for your upcoming cruise. As previously communicated, the arrival of Island Princess arrival into Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale from her dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas has been delayed. As a result, we currently expect embarkation for your cruise to be one day later than scheduled and will occur on Thursday, December 7 from 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM.

Due to the delayed departure, we will no longer be able to call to Aruba on Saturday, December 9, but will maintain the rest of the itinerary and our Panama Canal transit. We are very sorry this has affected the start of your vacation and are grateful for your understanding given the circumstances.

As a result of the delayed departure, each guest will receive a one-day refund of the cruise fare paid as a refundable onboard credit. In light of the altered itinerary, as well as to offset ancillary expenses such as meals and transportation, each guest will receive an additional refundable credit of $150 per person applied to their onboard folio. To encourage you to come back and make new memories with us, each guest will also receive a Future Cruise Credit of 15% of the cruise fare paid, which can be used on any future Princess cruise booked before the end of 2018 or any existing booking not yet paid in full, and is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Guests with Princess EZair

Guests with Princess EZair flights will keep their current air arrangements, and Princess will arrange for hotel accommodations for one night near Fort Lauderdale. You will receive these details upon your arrival in Fort Lauderdale. If you are already in Fort Lauderdale and have a hotel room, we recommend that you keep that room for another night and present your receipt for reimbursement on board.

Guests with Cruise Plus Pre-Cruise hotels

Guests with Cruise Plus Pre-Cruise hotels will have their stay extended an additional night or, subject to hotel availability, will be transferred to another hotel. You will receive details regarding your arrangements upon arrival in Fort Lauderdale.

Out-of-town guests with independent air

Out-of-town guests with independent air should either reschedule their flights, or arrange for accommodation for one night in the Fort Lauderdale area. We will reimburse air change fees or reasonable hotel expenses, and you will be able to submit this expense for reimbursement onboard.

If you are unable to secure a hotel room, we will have a large ballroom space at the convention center near the port where you will be able to store your luggage and explore the surrounding area, and tables and chairs where you can wait. The facilities will be limited, but our staff will make every effort to make you as comfortable as possible. Light refreshments will be available. We will facilitate your boarding as early as possible, but anticipate that it will not be until early morning on Thursday, December 7.

Local guests

Please delay your arrival at the port until 11:00 AM on Thursday, December 7.

We will reach out to you should there be any additional changes to communicate. Please be sure you have your mobile phone number listed in your Cruise Personalizer. Changes may also be posted to princess.com/notices.

Thank you for your attention to this important message. The entire staff and crew of Island Princess look forward to welcoming you on board.




Sincerely,

Princess Cruises 


So...we didn't have a place to stay for the night, because we only booked one night!  I ran downstairs to the lobby to see if we could extend our stay - but they were fully booked - which isn't a surprise since it was a timeshare.  I ran back upstairs, told my mom to continue packing, and hopped on my laptop looking for a hotel for the night.  I didn't want to splurge big, because Princess indicated they'd reimburse "reasonable" expenses, and I didn't know what their version of "reasonable" was since it's a subjective standard (let's just say my "reasonable" and my dad's "reasonable" mean very different things), so I didn't want to book anything too crazy in case we didn't get our money back (spoiler alert: they DID reimburse everything - even the resort fee and taxes).  I looked at the Hyatt House, the Hyatt Place, Hilton, Hilton's friends, and all the places I had been checking out before I booked the BeachPlace Towers.  All booked up.  There was another cruise ship in town departing that day, AND over two thousand displaced Princess passengers looking for a hotel room for the night - so MOST of the places in Fort Lauderdale area was booked up.  And what wasn't booked up was crazy expensive!  The freaking Courtyard Fort Lauderdale was going for $380 a night!  There were two more rooms at the Comfort Inn going for $280 each, but I didn't want to spend that money at Comfort Inn!  So I found rooms at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort for about $300 - which ended up being about $360 after taxes and fees.  It was expensive for what it was, but I figured that even if Princess only reimbursed us $200 each, the out of pocket wouldn't kill me or give my dad an aneurysm.  We packed up, checked out, and waited outside with our luggage for our Lyft.  




While mom with Grace and Ed headed across the street to take photos at the beach, my dad and snapped a cheesy selfie while waiting with the luggage.  

Our Lyft driver pulled up, looked at our luggage and LITERALLY SAID HE WOULDN'T TAKE THE FARE AND TOOK OFF.  I don't know who the guy was, but he was a black guy in his 30's driving a Tahoe.  I shake my fist at you Tahoe Man!

So after Lyft cleared me to request another car, I did, and this time the guy not only took us, but helped with our luggage.  I know it was a weenie fare since it was literally a mile down the street, but I gave that guy a fat tip for being cool and not a dick to us.  

Since it was about 10:30, our rooms weren't ready - but they gave us our towel cards (we've never stayed at a beach resort before...you need towel cards???), drink cards (yay for mojitos), and set us free to enjoy the pools and beach.  Except well...I was wearing jeans.  And it was hot outside.  And humid.  And jeans and heat and humidity are not friends - so after walking the grounds briefly, I wanted to go back in.  I also hadn't had breakfast yet, so I went to their cheap(er) restaurant and got the brunch buffet for $29.  My dad already had breakfast when I was feverishly trying to find us accommodations for the night, so he just ordered a cappuccino while I ate the world.  My mom, Grace and Ed came into the restaurant later and we moved the nearby tables over to form a bigger table.  They had already had breakfast, but decided to just eat again since we didn't want to leave the hotel to search out lunch without our rooms and luggage being settled.  My dad was still being stubborn and refused to eat, claiming he wasn't hungry and he didn't like the food there.  Personally, I think he was just being cheap, but whatever.  I happily munched on croissants, bacon, parfaits, oatmeal, fruit, potatoes and made to order omelets.  I was full 😄


one of the many croissants I had.  Yum.

After we finished, we went back to the lobby because it was air conditioned (they were over the heat and humidity in jeans too) and there was wifi.  By noon, I got a call that our rooms were ready - and we had our luggage delivered to our room so we could all change into shorts (yay!) and be able to relax.

We took a king room (there's no way my parents could both fit into a double bed) as the king room came with a sofa bed and Grace and Ed took the double room.  I didn't spring for an ocean view room, and now I wished I would have since I know Princess would've paid for it (sobbing with regret).  This is the view from our room:


They called this the "intercoastal view".  Sure...



My parents were tired and wanted to nap - I wanted to go lay on the beach, so I changed into shorts and a tank, grabbed my kindle, and set off in my Rainbows in search of sand and sun (all in shade, of course).  On the way, I stopped off at the Starbucks in the hotel, grabbed a "you are here" Miami mug for my friend Marci, and treated myself to an iced chai tea latte.  I then meandered out to the beach, and grabbed a lounger in the shade.  


this is the view on the way to the elevator.  The view I wished I paid for.

I guess this was the off season, because it wasn't busy.  I had my choice of loungers, and picked one set further back because I'm anti social.  I also didn't intend to swim, so it didn't matter if I was close to the water.




as you can see, shade was important in my choice of loungers

awesomely awkward selfie!



I happily whiled away a few hours lazing around on the beach.  I drank my tea, read my book, toodled around on the internet, took some photos of my feet, and read more.  Around 4pm, the rest of my people came out to take a look at the ocean.  I mean, if you're going to (potentially) pay for a hotel on the beach, you should enjoy the amenity that makes it cost 3 times more than it's actually worth, right?

They lounged around in the shade awhile and we debated where to have dinner.  






hello cruise ship that's not ours!

I  made the executive decision to have Italian as it's something my parents actually can tolerate, even like.  The reviews for the Chinese food in the area were dismal, and I really didn't want Panda Express on vacation, so I won!  


the view from our room as the sun was setting



We ended up using Lyft (and paying over $30!  Stupid surge pricing during rush hour) to Luigi's Tuscan Grill, which had really good review on yelp.  Because I was in charge of ordering food (as I would be for the duration of the trip), I ordered some appetizers too.  We got calamari (which you really can't screw up) and broccoli rabe with sausage so we'd have some greens.  The fact that it's cooked with sausage made it even better.  We ended up with 4 platters of linguine vongole (because we're uncreative) except for Grace who got a mixed seafood pasta in tomato sauce.



They also gave us a platter of really good garlic bread.  It was so good, I want to try to dupe it next time I make pasta at home. 










look at that big honking pile of clam shells!





The food was good, but not great.  The pasta was a little oilier than I liked (see the above photo), though the flavor was fine.  My parents were okay with it - it wasn't as good as the food we had in Italy, but come on - we're in Florida.  

After dinner we walked a few blocks to the 7-Eleven to pick up some bottled water for our rooms.  we were on Las Olas - but the few blocks separating the restaurant from the 7-Eleven went from festive and buzzing to pretty sketchy.  The parking lot of the 7-Eleven smelled like pee, and my dad was approached by an old guy asking for money.  We purchased water along with breads and pastries for breakfast the next morning (because we cheap and lazy and want to eat cruise food we've already paid for) and stayed inside the 7-Eleven a long as we could waiting for the Lyft driver.  WHO TOOK FOREVER.  We ended up waiting outside for about five minutes - and I knew my mom and Grace were freaked out, but there were 5 of us in a lighted location just outside a store.  If you're going to rob someone, it sure as hell wouldn't be FIVE someones standing right in front of a video camera with excellent lighting.  But we were all relieved when our Lyft driver pulled up.  Within 10 minutes, we were dropped off at our hotel.  

We showered, I made up my sofa bed, and we slept.  The next day, we go cruising for real!

No comments:

Post a Comment